What You Need to Know About UCaaS: A Resources Mash-up for Business Communications in the Cloud
Feeling overwhelmed about UCaaS? Whether you’re just getting started, in the final stages of vendor evaluation, or looking for upgrades to push your digital transformation forward, be confident you’ve left no stone unturned when it comes to cloud communications.
In the spirit of sharing, we’ve assembled some of the best industry sources to help you make the right decision. Give them a read as you prep for 2017 and ICYMI, check out our go-to collection of 2016 blogs and resources to fill in the gaps.
- Techopedia’s definition of Unified Communications as a Service (UCaas) – If you’re just getting started, start with the basics. Techopedia summarizes key terms and also walks through related terms so that you can unpack exactly which services you’ll want to outsource as part of moving UC and other related platforms to the cloud.
- SearchUnifiedCommunications’ “Guide to Unified Communications as a Service: Making Sense of it All” – We’ll be honest, this guide is about as comprehensive as they come. Each of the four sections – Defining UCaaS, How UCaaS Evolved, Cloud vs. On-Prem UC, and Buying Decisions –have their own additional reading, and the compilation is written by trusted industry experts, Dave Michels, Tom Noelle, and Zeus Kerravala (presidents and principal analyst at the organization, respectively). Give it a thorough read and then head back our way. You’ll have a firm grasp on your options by the time you peel through this one.
- IT Business Edge’s slideshow, “Five Reasons to Consider a Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) Platform” – Who doesn’t love a nice slideshow to walk you through the essentials? This presentation, “Why Use UCaaS?”, gives five reasons why UCaaS is a smart move: 1) removes front-loaded capital; 2) offers standard software on per-seat basis; 3) consistent service delivery; 4) offers hybrid models; and 5) broad range of services available. Need more ammo to justify the investment? Move on to resource #4.
- No Jitter’s “Going UCaaS: How to Choose the Right Option for You” – Melissa Swartz provides much-needed context for companies evaluating cloud vendor options. From hybrid cloud to integration to back-up and security, this article walks through what IT decision-makers must think about once they’ve made the call that cloud migration is a matter not of “if” but “when” – and importantly, “how” and “what” option will get them there.
- UC Strategy’s “When is the Right Time to Move Collaboration to the Cloud?” – A deeper dive into market drivers and industry research, this article complements the above resources by painting the big picture. Helping to root UCaaS considerations within a larger IT story helps make the case for adoption more generally. This is a must-read for any forward-thinking leader trying to make technology investments that improve productivity and create opportunities for greater collaboration in the workplace.
- Gartner’s “CIO Responsibilities in a Digital Business World” – Ok, this report isn’t directly about the UCaaS space, but the topic of digital transformation is closely married to UCaaS. The trend towards digitalization isn't slowing down. As more and more companies look to make the move to digital, it is critical to understand how IT leaders must adapt and stake out their digital leadership roles. In this report from Gartner, learn about the top challenges and best tactics for ensuring success.
UCaaS is an important piece of the puzzle to make work work. Still have questions? We promise to keep you up-to-date on all things UCaaS, so that you can make the decisions that help people stay connected in the New Year.