- March 08, 2018
- in Future of Work
- by Amanda Maksymiw
What Inspires Us On International Women’s Day
While International Women’s Day has been celebrated across the globe for 100 years, 2018 marks a shift in how we celebrate women – in the workplace and beyond. Across business, politics, and entertainment, there has been a growing focus on equality and diversity issues, especially as it relates to women in the workplace. For companies in tech, there was a renewed spotlight on the gender gap, and with that, a louder call to address this issue and promote opportunities for women in STEM careers. This year, on March 8th, International Women’s Day represents a further commitment to meaningful change, partnering with allies and advocates to ensure equal opportunity and support for all.
In celebration of #IWD2018 we spoke with our senior female staff here at Fuze to share their favorite quotes which inspire them, offer advice on working in technology, managing work/life balance, career advancements, and more. Check out their thoughts and perspectives below:
- Mary Good, Chief People Officer: One quote that has stuck with me, and guided me throughout my career has been “It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to get permission.” – Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper, U.S. Naval officer, and an early computer programmer.
- Lisa Walker, VP of Corporate Marketing and Brand: "If you want to try something disruptive in your business, call it a pilot. Nobody ever got fired for running a pilot." – I heard from a speaker at a conference years ago, and have put into practice every day since.
- Alexia Parsons, EMEA Customer Success Team Lead: “I've always believed that one woman's success can only help another woman's success.” This is a quote I wholeheartedly embrace, and I encourage all women to find strong female mentors they can talk to, learn from, and grow with. I am lucky to be surrounded by strong females both in my personal and work life – some of which have combined to both.
- Lisa Campopiano, Director of Account Management: Something that I have learned from my mentor, "the best way to get a promotion, is to make an impact on your organization beyond what your present role demands on you, and do so outside of your business hours so as to not impact your present job's performance." This one from Dr. Seuss has also stuck with me throughout the years: “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”
- Laurie Harrison, General Counsel: Several quotes from Sheryl Sandberg stand out for me as a woman in tech: "If you're offered a seat on a rocket ship, don't ask which seat. Just get on." - "There's a special place in hell for women who don't help other women." - “The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.” - "We must raise both the ceiling and the floor."
- And here is my personal favorite: “Bitches get shit done." – Tina Fey. All too often, it is easy to get caught up in the processes, meetings, and flow of the day to day. It's along the lines of 'done is better than perfect' (courtesy of Sheryl Sandberg) with a little more edge.
How are you celebrating #IWD18? Tweet #Fuze and let us know.